A little while back I posted a very easy recipe for Philly Steak & Cheese Zucchini Boats and they seemed to be a big hit! FYI... my basis for that statement was that it got twice as many likes as I usually get on Instagram. So, we’re bringing the boats back, but this time with chicken fajitas! This is a great recipe that you can make with very little time and effort.
You can make it even easier by using a fajita seasoning packet, but READ THE INGREDIENTS. I stress this idea in just about every recipe post. But the fact is most seasoning packets, just like most foods that come from the big box food brands, are filled a lot of unnecessary/unhealthy crap, including sugar. Not to beat a dead horse but anytime you are buying marinades, salad dressings, mixed seasonings, jarred sauces, etc. you really should be making sure it’s not a bunch of fillers and foods that you don’t want. Let’s take a look at one very common grocery store brands (cough Ortega cough) and the ingredients list:
Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Salt, Spices, Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Caramel Color, Dried Red Bell Peppers, Citric Acid, Garlic Powder, Autolyzed yeast Extract, Silicon Dioxide, Soybeans, Wheat, Smoke Flavor. Allergens: Soybeans, Wheat.
*This comes directly from their website
So, at the very top of the list we have Maltodextrin as the largest ingredient… that’s not a good sign. Soybean, Sugar, Silicon, Wheat, "Spices"... we already know that these are no no's.
But what is Maltodextrin? It’s a thickener/filler for many processed and packaged foods. It’s most commonly made from corn or other starchy vegetables. It also has some unfavorable side effects:
- Spikes Blood Sugar - this is the opposite of what you want on a ketogenic diet!!!
- Suppresses Probiotic Growth - probiotics are what keep your gut health active, which keeps inflammation down! The current science agrees that gut health may be the most important factor in most of the diseases of today
- May cause allergic reactions and negative side effects like gas, diarrhea, bloating, cramping and skin irritations - this is not good, unless you like gas and rashes
Here at the Fatbody we’re not just about low carb and high fat foods, we’re about real foods. Despite all of the amazing benefits of ketosis you can still yield the same inflammatory issues by eating the wrong fats and ingredients.
So, once again check your labels my friends :) ok now the good stuff...
- 1 pound Chicken (I used breast but thigh works just as well)
- 2 large Zucchini
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 1 Bell Pepper
- ½ medium Onion
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of each Fajita Seasoning: Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika, Garlic Powder
- Cilantro (optional)
- Guacamole (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Add Chicken and Seasoning to a bowl with some olive oil and marinate. Cut peppers and onions into strips and set to the side
- Hollow out your zucchini and sprinkle some salt on top. Let them rest in between a layer of paper towels and leave off to the side
- Heat your pan to a medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add peppers and onions with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook until they soften and the onions become lightly transparent. Remove from pan and set to the side
- Add remaining oil to pan and add chicken with all of the juices and marinade. Cook all the way through, lightly browned with no pink inside
- Add back your peppers and onions and drop the heat down to the lowest setting. Mix thoroughly and turn off the burner
- Pat down and dry your zucchini, removing most of the salt. Stuff them with fajita mix and top with cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes on 400F, until cheese is gooey and melty!
- Top with fatty ingredients of choice and enjoy!
Note: this meal is relatively low on fats for a keto eater, this is why I added avocado (guacamole) and sour cream to the ingredient list. Those two additions should up your fats significantly