Up until last week I worked from home most days, which was nice because I never really had to meal prep. Meal prepping saves a lot of time, but when you don’t have to commute across Los Angeles you have more free time than most. Unfortunately, that all changed. New client, new rules. All of a sudden your boy has to wear a suit and sit in traffic just like everyone else. I’m assuming you guys aren’t feeling any sympathy for me so I’ll move on...
Point is, now I DO have to commute and that means I need to save time when I can, especially in the morning! If you find yourself rushing out the door with your keys in your mouth and your shoes half on, well you might want to consider these breakfast cups.
They are pretty easy to make, taste great reheated and they are VERY easy to store and transport. Plus, it’s a full balanced breakfast with good healthy fats and only 1 net carb per cup!
Eggs are one of nature's healthiest foods. They are high in vitamins, minerals and essential fats and proteins. Plus you’ve got cauliflower, mushroom and spinach which provide tons of nutrients. And of course bacon, oh sweet, sweet bacon.
- 1 ½ cup of Cauliflower
- 6 Whole Eggs
- 6 Slices of Bacon (cooked)
- 2 cups Spinach (loosely packed)
- 1 cup Crimini Mushroom
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
*for creamier eggs and added fat - add a tablespoon of heavy cream to the eggs
- Cook your bacon following the standard cooking instructions. Be sure took bacon lightly, as you will need to wrap it around the base of the cup. I'd suggest cooking in the oven for two reasons: First, you're already using the oven. Second, the bacon will cook evenly and you're less likely to over crisp it, making you unable to wrap the slice around the cup
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prepare your cauliflower hash
- Microwave 1.5 cups of cauliflower rice (half of a Trader Joes frozen bag) to dryt out the water
- In a pan on medium heat add 1 tablespoon of butter, cauliflower, garlic, salt and pepper to taste
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes. Until the cauliflower begins to brown and crisp up. Remove from pan when finished.
- Prepare your Egg Cups
- In a muffin pan, use a light amount of butter or oil to grease the pan.
- Wrap bacon slice around the inside edges of the cup.
- Next, divide the cauliflower hash into each cup packing it down tightly and making a solid and even base at the bottom of the cup.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs, spinach salt and pepper. Note for extra fat and creaminess add a tablespoon of heavy cream
- Top the cup with mushroom, salt and pepper and any other seasonings of choice.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until center is no longer runny.