Over the 4th of July weekend I had some guests staying with me. They were visiting from Germany and excited for the 4th of July celebration, so I wanted to make sure they got the full experience. We did a whole American Summer Cookout spread (Keto Style) and to be honest I never intended on making this salad as a “recipe” but when they told me it was the best salad they have ever had, well I knew I needed to share it with you guys!
Call me crazy, but I love a good fresh salad. Vegetables really are such an important part of a healthy diet even if you are a fat adapted eater… it can’t be cheese and bacon for every meal (well maybe). That said I’m always making big salads, which I then load up with some good raw olive oil or some kind of dense fat source. This particular salad has a lot of avocado and olive oil so it is mostly fat calories already.
One additional side note... Make extra, make a double batch! This stuff goes quick and I swear it tastes better the next day. The acidity in the lemon juice keeps the avocado from browning so that won’t be a concern, but it also breaks down the vegetables allowing them to really come together for a dynamite flavor! Let’s get down to business..
- 3 medium Avocado (or 2 large)
- Bunch of Basil
- Bunch of Parsley
- 2 Vine Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 Lemon
- ½ cup of Olive Oil
- ½ Red Pepper
- 2-3 Celery Stalks
- ½ Red Onion
- 2-3 Persian Cucumbers (smaller than regular)
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Dice your veggies, remove your stems and throw everything into a bowl
- The Dressing: I did a 2:1 olive oil to lemon juice ratio. 1 lemon yielded about ¼ cup so I used a half cup of olive oil. Add: Salt, Pepper, Oregano and Garlic Powder
- Mix thoroughly and you're good to go! I prefer to do this first when preparing a meal because I like to give the dressing time to soak into the vegetables and really enhance the flavor